Today was our Hike-A-Thon for Scouts. The purpose of this is, for the boys to raise some of the money they will need for summer camp.

I was planning on doing the 7.5 miles with my younger wingnut Tommy. But plans, as always, change, and you have to go with the flow. Because the others in the Boy Scout troop didn’t show up, I ended up hiking with my older son and nephew….10 miles.

But we did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After a very sedentary winter, I wasn’t sure any of us would make it, we dragged a bit here and there, but boy was it nice to get back to our starting point.

I couldn’t believe how busy the boys stayed all afternoon. I was exhausted. But they layed down at 9pm to watch Mythbusters, and I don’t think they were awake for more than 20 seconds LOL!

On a side note, we had a bit of an emergency here today. About 6pm, my older son went outside to play for a few minutes. All of a sudden, he comes rushing in, with a dead serious look on his face…”MOM, I need you NOW! There is a small fire out back in the yard!” Well, thinking small, I grab a pan of water.

Needless to say I dropped it quickly and called 911 when I got outside and saw that it wasn’t all that small anymore. By this time it was about 20 feet across, and at least 20 feet deep. There is a thin area of trees and brush right behind our apartment building, that separates our yard from a local park. Still not sure what caused it, but it could be just about anything, including someone carelessly dropping a cigarette. There are a lot of town kids that use our yard as a shortcut to town.

Now, I have the bad habit of smoking, but I am not that foolish. Especially when it is clearly visible just up the street at the fire station, that the fire level is at high risk right now. There is a big sign for all to see.

Luckily the volunteer fire department showed up within 5 minutes, and had it out within 10. It started to creep across the grass, towards our building, but no damage to anything other than the brush and a bit of burned grass. That would not have been pretty if it had gotten to the house. There are six large propane tanks attached to this building. And the building itself is over 100 years old, and would probably go up in the blink of an eye.

I am so grateful my son was out there when he was. It could have been much worse.

And my prayers will be with my friend Stephanie’s family tomorrow, as they say goodbye to an incredible woman.

Be blessed!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: